Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chasing wild geese

Life is full of challenges. Sometimes they make you stronger, sometimes they make you stranger, and sometimes they just make your brain hurt. These last couple of weeks have had a mix of all three.


I've been living in DC without the majority of my stuff for almost 4 months now. Some days I feel I should sell it all and become totally portable, a theatre gypsy. Sometimes I feel like I really, really, REALLY miss my stuff. Let's just call it a dichotomy of emotion. This week I was missing my craft supplies- in a big way.

So far I've realized I don't have- an awl, hammer, mini-screw driver, zipper foot, the cord to connect my camera to my computer, a photo set up, many thread colors, sand paper, an x-acto knife, and someone to date. In the grand scheme, these things are all attainable via either a quick trip to my storage facility-date excluded-8 hours away or a 4.5 to 10.75 hour trip to NYC where I can get it all (most likely date included). Instead of interstate driving I decided to try to find what I'm missing right here in DC. I even scheduled a real live date with a real live guy in my real live city.

It would seem to me that in a city as large as DC I should be able to take care of my list and still get home in time to shower, make myself beautiful and head out the door for a long anticipated date. This plan was flawed. Almost as flawed as the US plan to invade Iraq, just with less civilian casualties.

I figured I could get my list taken care of at a fabric store, a home store, and Ikea (extra points if you already see the flaw) and still make it home for a shower.

Never, never, never go shopping anywhere the weekend the dorms open. These words should ring true as "never get involved in a land war in Asia". It's similar to slamming your head in a door, realizing it hurt, and then doing it again-just to make sure it really hurt. Anyway I'm getting off topic. I made it thru the stores. I didn't find half of the items on the list, bought something I'm pretty sure was called "Fukit" at Ikea, and headed home for my date. Almost as soon as I walked in the door my iCrack buzzed and the date was canceled.

Normally I would blow someone off after the second canceled date (or if I sit in a bar for more than 30 minutes waiting on them to show up). This time it was the 5th date this dude has canceled with me. I'm not sure what or why I allowed him to make and break 5 dates with me, but I did. Maybe it was the angel sitting on my shoulder telling me to be nice, or maybe it is the fact that I am bordering on desperate to meet an intelligent male within 20 miles of my zip code. Either way, I've been chasing a lot of wild geese this week.

I think I'm gonna throw in the towel and head to NYC soon. At least there I know where I can buy a zipper foot.

No comments: