Wednesday, March 19, 2008

5 years.

5 years ago our country, for better or worse, invaded Iraq. I was thinking today...what was I doing 5 years ago today, and how is my life different?

5 Years ago I was:

Just finishing my degree.

Dating a guy who I was sure I was going to marry.

Living with 3 roommates, 3 kitties, 2 fish tanks and more than likely a couple of mice.

Getting ready for a job interview as an apprentice with a major Chicago theatre.

Worried that the economy was going to tank due to the impending war.

Looking back I realize that almost nothing tangible in my life is the same, and yet almost everything is exactly the same. It is scary to look back at what can change and what stays exactly the same in 5 years.

No one knows decisively when this war is going to end, or why we got involved in the first place. The thing is we know is our vote does count, and we should use it whenever we get the chance.

Take a moment and think back to what you were doing 5 years ago today.


Now think ahead...what do you want to be doing in 5 years....


Now remember, if you don't vote, it won't happen.

xo

2 comments:

katkoe said...

exactly.

Goose On The Loose said...

I went to a town meeting five years ago and spoke publicly for the fist time in my life, it was a big deal as up to that point I would have been too terrified. I was really pissed, totally opposed to the war and bursting with things to say so I stepped up to the podium and calmly expressed my views. I always vote... I'm afraid to say that five years from now I hope to be a Canadian citizen.